remote win2k shares

Marcel Kunath kunathma at pilot.msu.edu
Tue Feb 13 15:00:11 GMT 2001

Hello,

I am trying to access some remote Windows 2000 directories via mounting. I can
make one kind work but the other I can't.

The setup for Windows is described here:

    http://dss.ais.msu.edu/dialserv.html

I try now on my Linux box something similar.

1.

mount -t smbfs -o username=myuserID //ntweb5.ais.msu.edu/web /temp

    does work.

2.

mount -t smbfs -o username=myuserID //aisdept.ais.msu.edu/myuserID /temp
mount -t smbfs -o username=myuserID //aisdept.ais.msu.edu/myuserID$ /temp
mount -t smbfs -o username=myuserID //aisdept.ais.msu.edu/users/myuserID /temp
mount -t smbfs -o username=myuserID //aisdept.ais.msu.edu/users/myuserID$ /temp

    all fail to work.

    response:

        Password:
        session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
        SMB connection failed

3.

aisdept is not a domain controller but I would guess ntweb5 isn't either. Both
are under the same domain AIS_NT.

4.

Here is what the MSCE wrote me:

<quote>
I doubt that you will be able to perform this mount.  aisdept is not a domain
controller and thus doesn't handle any authentications itself.  As a result
remote access is likely unavailable.  I am not sure what parameters mount will
accept, but you may be able to trick it using:

mount -t smbfs -o username=ais_nt\myuserID //ntweb5.ais.msu.edu/web /temp

That is worth a try, but I would not be suprised if it doesn't work.
</quote>

This didn't help with aisdept. This actually breaks my working mount of ntweb5.

Thanks,

mk