samba 2.2 printer queues: some questions...

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Mon Feb 12 21:42:36 GMT 2001

Paul Sanders wrote:

> Second:  How many printers should samba be able to host?

It depends on the server hardware actually.  Samba is
really just a a spooling service.  It also depnds on the
quanity of jobs you plan to process.  I used to run
~150 of a Sun Ultra 170 without any really problems.

> I have 74 queues running on a PIII 733 with 386 Mb
> RAM.  .... queue looks OK from
> linux but shows as paused in NT.  BTW:  NT4 domain,
> all NT4wkstn clients, and all HP4000\4050\4500\5SI printers -
> no commonality to the ones stopping. Also, there is no
> problem with the printers since queues from our exeisting
> NT print server can still print to them.   Any thoughts?

Hmmm....sounds like timeouts somewhere.  On queues that
show as paused, what is the output of lpq on the UNIX
host?

> Third:  I have a problem with making device setting
> stick if they are set from NT - they only stick if I
> set them from an Win2K box.

We've been working on some of this issues recently.
Stay tuned.

> Fourth:  Does anyone run winbind in a large NT domain?  I
> am also using winbind from TNG on the same server.
> Winbind works just fine except for the parts that
> dont work at all.  I am able to see all domain users
> and can use them in NT ACLs on the printers.  I CANNOT see
> most of the domain groups. however.  We discovered
> that running getent group from the command line will
> produce a seg fault if the winbind GID range is larger
> than 58 groups [for example, a range of 1000-1057 will let
> me getent the first 58 groups - a range of 1000-1058 will
> cause a seg fault when getent is run.  My thought is
> that groups are not available for this reason [seems logical
> to me, at least...]. BTW, all user show up with with no
> prob.   Anyone else see this problem?
I've seen this as well now that you mention it.

Tim, can you reproduce this bug?

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org