Samba and password protected directories

Robert Johnson robert at mamma.com
Mon Feb 12 22:13:25 GMT 2001

Hello, I have Win98 clients that need
to connect "securely" to directories on Linux boxes.
In smb.conf, I have added these home directories:

[Luser Dir]
   comment = dir
   public = no
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
   path = /home/luser

Accounts have been created in the appropriate directories with
proper accessibility, this includes passwords. This was done
with "useradd -c "name" -m -s/bin/sh.............,
Then "passwd luser"...........

When I try to access the directories from Network neighbourhood,
I am prompted for the passwords but get "wrong password"
error messages when I enter the luser's passwds.

Does this mean I must populate smbpasswd with these lusers
etc...? Or what???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RJ

Robert Johnson
System Administrator
Mamma.com - The Mother of All Search Engines
388 St. Jacques Street West, 9th Floor
Montreal Quebec, H2Y 1S1

T (514) 908-4314
F (514) 284-0253