Host name lookup ---- BUG

Peter de Groot pdgtech at kalnet.com.au
Mon Feb 12 16:24:33 GMT 2001

> > Samba also does DNS lookups in client_name() - in lib/util_sock.c - and
> > this cannot (AFAIK) be disabled.  The best thing to do is to setup a
> > local DNS server for your network, at least so it gets a 'host not
> > found' earlier.  Or you could just list the hosts in /etc/hosts if its a
> > smaller network.

You are being very polite on what I would consider a BUG !!!!!!!

There has been another bloke on this list that has been very "strong"
on this also.

IMHO .... The name resolve order stuff has been a fairly recent incarnation,
and I suspect that the chaps have not found all of original calls
in the code.............

This might explain why clicking on a share in windoze explorer
takes a "long" time to crank up smbd.  Might be cause it is
attempting to find the share name on a non-existant DNS
lookup

Cheers
Peter

              PDG Technical Services Pty Ltd
                      ABN 25077936933
 Peter de Groot                             P.O. Box 10349
  08) 90916817                              Kalgoorlie 6430
 pdgtech at kalnet.com.au                      Western Australia