desparate: authentication

Nik Sands Nik.Sands at utas.edu.au
Sun Feb 11 21:53:16 GMT 2001

Do the Windows clients have their registry setting added for plain text
passwords?

Because Unix and Windows uses different encryption algorithms, SAMBA can
only understand plain text passwords from windows.  However, since Win98 &
NT4, Windows only sends encrypted passwords (windows encrypted, not unix
encrypted).

There is a registry entry that can be set on each Windows client, to try
plain text if encrypted fails.  Do a search on the Microsoft Web site for it.

Cheers,
Nik.

NIK SANDS - Systems Administrator    MailTo:Nik.Sands at utas.edu.au
Information Technology Services             Phone: +61-3-63243732
University of Tasmania, Australia             Fax: +61-3-63243081