Samba server with 98 clients

bch bch at bctek.com
Fri Feb 9 20:14:53 GMT 2001

I am trying to replace an old novel server that is used only as a fileserver
for two legacy dos database programs with a samba server. I am new to samba
so am not sure if it will be able to do what I need.

Basicly, I want to run Samba on a linux machine that will authenticate Win98
clients allowing logon scripts, and profile storage on the server. It will
also act as the master browser and wins server. User's who have to use the
dos based database programs will have a user script that automaticly map's
the samba share with the applications to drive i:. Then the user can run the
program from i: as was done with the novel server.

I have this up and running so far.

This has been working so far with my 3 test machines. My main question is in
regards to file locking and database integrity. What setting do I need to be
aware of when dealling with a dos database application. The database is
quite large. I notice all the lock options, and the Mangling options, and
the dos map settings. Do I need to mess with these. Currently my config
looks like this:

[database]
    comment = Database Apps
    path = /usr/local/samba/database
    brosable = yes
    read only = no
    writeable = yes
    creat mode = 660
    guest ok = no

I can run the database application and if two users appear to change the
same item the dos application will prompt the second user that the file is
locked. So locking appears to be working. However, what further testing
should I do before rolling this out and replacing our current system. This
application is vital for the business. Corruption would be very, very bad!!
Hence my concern.

Thanks for advice.

bch.