smbmount problem

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Fri Feb 9 19:17:57 GMT 2001

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Noah Lee wrote:

> Then the permissions end up as such:
>
> drwxrwxrwx   12 root     root         4096 Feb  2 15:17 ./
> drwxr-xr-x   22 root     root         4096 Jan 16 18:04 ../
> drwxrwxrwx    1 root     root          512 Feb  7 14:36 a2002/
> dr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root          512 Feb  7 15:22 a2003/

This has been reported before. I still don't know why, nor do I have
enough details to reproduce it.

In case someone wants to have a look, these are some of the functions
involved:

fs/smbfs/proc.c:
	smb_init_dirent
	smb_finish_dirent	- clears write if aRONLY is set
	smb_init_root_dirent	- init for the mount point
	smb_proc_getattr	- reads file attributes (different methods
				  for different servers)

Permissions are based on what the server returns as file attributes, not
on NT access lists. It's not certain that this is a smbfs bug, it may be
something with what NT uses to decide if aRONLY is on or not.

/Urban