Win2k drive mapping timeouts

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Fri Feb 9 18:35:47 GMT 2001

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Nimish Philip wrote:

> I have some drives mapped from a win2k client to Samba 2.0.7 shares.
> Unfortunately, these are unmapped/unavailable after a few hours.

It's a common problem (series of problems, really).

2.2.18 should be the best 2.2 kernel at keeping smbfs mounted. There is
still a problem with it if smbmount takes too long at mounting, another if
the wrong process gets a signal at the wrong time. There is at least one
smbmount bug that can cause it to fail.

If you are not on 2.2.18, try that one first.

/Urban