Problems with security=server and Windows 98 clients

Greer, Darren (MED) Darren.Greer at med.ge.com
Fri Feb 9 17:19:59 GMT 2001

Hello all.

I have a samba server setup using security=server, and pointing to a
specific NT password server.  The Samba server is running Solaris.

Everything works fine in my setup, in that everyone can connect, and map
drives, with their logins/passwords from the NT server.  If they are in
Windows 2000 they can copy files, make directories, delete directories,
etc.  However, if the client is a Windows 98 machine, all thay can do is
copy files.  They cannot overwrite files, they cannot copy directories,
and they cannot delete anything.

It is really confusing, and I can't figure out what is going on.  Does
anyone have any thing I could try.  Here is my global section (personal
information removed) and one of my service sections.  Thanks for any and
all help:

[global]
  workgroup = AMERICA
  os level=0
  server string = Web Solutions - Intradev %v
  hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127. 3.
  wins server = 3.100.100.100
  ;   client code page = 850
  ;   character set = ISO8859-1
  log file = /var/samba/log.%m