fails to change password, FreeBSD

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Thu Feb 8 13:54:00 GMT 2001

Hi Alex,
Ok, general stuff is out of the way, except for one thing - the USER you
are trying to change the password for - does it actually EXIST in your
/etc/passwd file (or your nis password database, if you are using nis)?

  If you can do the following I would be glad to take a look and see if I
can help you off-list:
1. in your smb.conf file global section:
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
   log level = 10
2. execute you smbpasswd command while logged on as the non-root user
   who's password you are trying to change.
3. off-list, send me a copy of the log.<yoursambaservername> that gets
   generated as a result of the smbpasswd command,  a copy of your
   user.map file from the /usr/local/samba/lib subdirectory, a copy of
   your smb.conf file, and the results of the following command:
   "grep <usernameyouaretryingtochange> /etc/passwd".  Also in your
   message let me know the name of the unix user you are logged in as
   when the smbpasswd command fails.

Hope I can help,
Don