problem with netbios aliases (nmbd restart solves it)

William R. Knox wknox at mitre.org
Wed Feb 7 18:08:21 GMT 2001

I would guess that your alias is dropping out of the WINS server that you
have on your network. Clients may be finding our real name through DNS
resolution. You may want to register your Netbios alias with DNS. We tried
for a while to figure out with the NT group here how to keep our samba
servers from dropping out of the NT WINS server, but gave up and now
restart nmbd every night to prevent this from happening.

			Bill Knox
			Senior Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
			The MITRE Corporation