problem with netbios aliases (nmbd restart solves it)

Toby Blake toby at cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Wed Feb 7 17:33:35 GMT 2001

Hi,

I'm running samba 2.0.5a under Solaris 2.7 and am seeing a problem
where the netbios alias for our print server sometimes becomes
unavailable.  It is still visible in Network Neighbourhood, but
double-clicking comes back with "<blah> could not be found on the
network".  However, I can connect to the machine OK, by
double-clicking on its real name, rather than its alias.

I have noticed that to cure this problem all I have to do is restart
nmbd on the machine in question, but this is obviously not ideal.
Can anyone offer any explanations as to why this is happening and ways
round it?

Thanks in advance

Toby Blake
Division of Informatics