nmb error 6

Keith Reynolds kreynolds at ascensionhealth.org
Tue Feb 6 15:42:10 GMT 2001

Thanks for info.  I've now changed the workgroup name and the error 6 has gone away.  However, it is still unable to find the Domain Master Browser.  If I understand correctly, this Domain Master Browser is the WINS server, which is on a different subnet.   Also, its trying to find the same Domain Master Browser name as the workgroup.  How do I get it to find the Domain Master Browser on a different subnet?   How do I get it to establish a new workgroup?  How would I get it to be added to an existing workgroup?

I find that most of the doc to be terse and I, being a newbie, am unable to decipher it.

2001/02/06 08:07:25, 1  nmbd/nmbd.c:main(757)
 Netbios nameserver version 2.0.7 started.
 Copyright Andrew Tridgell 1994-1998
2001/02/06 08:13:08, 0  nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(405)
 *****

Samba name server EVV1VLNXB4 is now a local master browser for workgroup S390_LINUX on subnet 10.220.32.4

 *****
2001/02/06 08:13:08, 0  nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(360)
find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name S390_LINUX<1b> for the workgroup S390_LINUX.
Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.
001/02/06 08:28:20, 0  nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(360)
find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name S390_LINUX<1b> for the workgroup S390_LINUX.
Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.

Thanks,
Keith

>>> "MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1)" <don_mccall at hp.com> 02/05/01 05:56PM >>>
Keith,
It appears that you are using the same name for your workgroup as you are
for your samba server name.  I'm not sure of the 'legality' of this, but do
recall that it is typically not recommended.
Is this the case?
don