Linux 'resolving' via WINS ??

Andre Pang andrep at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue Feb 6 11:17:44 GMT 2001

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 05:52:15PM +0100, Daniel wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I have installed SAMBA 2.2a2 on a RH7 system. There are no other NT
> machines in the network so I set SAMBA to be the primary WINS server.
> >From the Win9x clients this works fine. All station names were
> automaticly added to the wins database, so from the workstation i can ping
> all machines, including the server, by using 'ping hostname'. However,
> when I try to ping the workstations from the server, it does not work. I
> need to tell Linux to use WINS as one of the resolving methodes. Is this
> possible ??

the proper solution would be add WINS/broadcast NetBIOS queries via the name
service switch (see /etc/nsswitch.conf), but unless somebody's done that,
that's probably irrelevant :).

you can do a hack by running a cron job every minute or so, which parses the
browse.dat file and writes a new /etc/hosts file.  ("man nmblookup" and
search for 'browse.dat'; the place where this file goes varies from system
to system.)  if you don't know how to do this, email me back privately and
i'll show you how.

(if anybody else is interested, then send me an email privately too and
i'll send the hack^Wscript back to the list.)

--
/ #ozone <andrep at cse.unsw.edu.au>; (mobile# 0411 882299)
                                   trust in love to save