Mounting samba shares

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Mon Feb 5 23:52:28 GMT 2001

Hi Chris,
In fact, smbmount DOES require the executor of that command to be the root
user.  There is a check in the code to ensure this.
This is similar to the nfs mount requirement that nfs mounts be made by
root.  The subsequent access to the files and directories under that mount
are then governed by the permissions on those files and directories.
hope this helps,
Don