SAMBA Really Slow

John Supplee John at rediscov.com
Mon Feb 5 15:44:14 GMT 2001

David Collier-Brown wrote:
> Can you fake up a script that does 60 ftp's of the same-size
> files?  This will tell us if it's a Samba problem (probbaly
> specific to the particular application) or if its something
> like an ethernet card pooping out under load.

> You might also try changing the script to do 60 "gets" with
> smbclient.

>	if ftp is slow too, it's probably the network
>	if ftp is fast, then
>		if smbclient is slow, it's samba
>		if smbclient is slow, it's something else

I'll try to do this sometime.  Seriously doubt it is a problem with the
network card.  Large file transfers work very quickly and it is the samba
process that is chewing up all the CPU time (I didn't think that could be a
symptom of a slow network card).

> Ps: what was the application?

It is a MS Visual FoxPro 6.0 application.

I found a submission to this list with a similar problem that was never
answered (it is included at the bottom of this message).  I think it is a
problem with some setting because I have read of other FoxPro users having
no trouble with accessing files on a Samba server.

John

P.S. I also tried Samba 2.2.0alpha2 but it gave me the same result.

FoxPro Files in Samba

----