number of smbd processes per client IP

Grotnes Per Kjetil PBE-SIT PerKjetil.Grotnes at pbe.oslo.kommune.no
Mon Feb 5 13:36:24 GMT 2001

> I have noticed (and AFAIK it's normal) that samba spawns one server
> process per client's IP address. Can I change this behavior? Can I somehow
> force samba to spawn several smbds per client IP? In case of my application
> (a big x-base accounting program started on NT terminal server) it might
> be a cure.

The fix is a NT (Terminal Server especially) registry setting:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE:

SYSTEM / CurrentControlSet / Services / rdr / parameters

Add the key - MultipleUsersOnConnection: REG_DWORD 0

This will tell the NT (terminal) server to start a new connection to the samba server for each
network connection vs. the samba server.

There are some info about this in the install-docs for Samba.  The Microsoft
KnowledgeBase also has this info.

Regards
Per Kjetil Grotnes
---
IT-Seksjonen, Plan- og bygningsetaten, Oslo Kommune
Tlf: 22 66 26 61, Fax: 22 66 26 65