nt domain help

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Fri Feb 2 21:34:43 GMT 2001

Hi Daniel,
The password for the trust when samba joins a domain is immaterial;
it is negotiated between itself and the pdc.
and you won't be using smbpasswd command, as the password is being checked
against the NT domain password database in domain level security.  The
reason you need unix users defined on your Sun Samba box with the same names
as the NT users is that when those nt users access shares on the samba box,
samba will use the uid/gid pair of the same name unix user to determine
access rights to manipulate the unix files in those shares, and assign
ownership to files created by these users.
Hope this helps,
Don