pizza

Peter Bennett pjb at publunch.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Feb 2 21:29:00 GMT 2001

You're going to need a very hot oven, so be sure to give it plenty of time
to warm up.

This recipe is for 4 pizzas, each about 7" - 8" across.

First you must make the dough.

3 cups whole wheat flour
1 oz fresh yeast  (OK - use dried yeast or even baking soda)
1 1/4 cups water
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon salt

Prepare this like preparing bread.  After you have let the dough rise &
have punched it down twice, roll it into balls slightly larger than golf
balls.  Then roll the balls into circles about 7" to 8" across.  Leave
them somewhere warm to rise for 15 minutes.  (If you use baking soda, you
don't have to let it rise twice like this.)

Meanwhile make the sauce:

3 tablespoons oil
4 cups tomatoes (quartered)  (OK - use tinned tomatoes)
2 cups peppers (chopped small)
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon basil
1 bayleaf
1 cup tomato ketchup

Saute the herbs in oil.  Add the tomatoes and peppers and tomato
ketchup.  Cook until the vegetables are just soft.  If you want to add
mushrooms, you should do so at the last minute and cook very lightly.

Now spread the sauce over the pizzas.

Add one or two pitted olives.  Also some capers, if you like them.

Sprinkle liberally with mozzerella cheese.  Top with ground parmezan.

Bake at very high temperature for (450 - 500 F) for 10 - 15 minutes.

I lifted the above out of a book, so don't post it on the web as that
might cause trouble with the copyright owners.  I have made and served
these pizzas on pre-heated plates, but have lost one or two plates that
couldn't cope with the heat.

Thanks for the software.

Peter
pjb at publunch.freeserve.co.uk