Proposed patch for Samba-2.0.7 to allow Solaris open more than 1014 (or rlim_fd_max) files

Gerhard Wiesinger e9125884 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Feb 2 09:35:21 GMT 2001

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Tim Potter wrote:

> Gerhard Wiesinger writes:
>
> > > I would like to submit the following patch to source/lib/util.c to allow
> > > Samba under Solaris to open more than 1014 files -- or whatever the kernel
> > > variable rlim_fd_max is set to.
> >
> > The patch works fine for me. When will the patch be included into CVS?
>
> OK - since there are multiple reports of it actually working, I
> can probably merge it in to HEAD.  Hopefully Jeremy will pick it
> up for the next 2.2 release.

Can you integrate it into the 2.0.7 source tree too?

BTW: I tested it on Suse Linux 7.0 (Kernel 2.2.16) and had the following
limitations with the patch.

I did with bash:
   echo 16384 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max
   echo 30000 > /proc/sys/fs/inode-max
works well.

Setting the rlimit works until the following:
  rlp.rlim_max = 1048576; // Works on Linux 2.2.16
  rlp.rlim_max = 1048577; // Operation not permitted on Linux 2.2.16

So rlp.rlim_max = RLIM_INFINITY; does not work on Linux 2.2.16.

So we could try infinity and when it does not work try this limit.

Regards,
Gerhard Wiesinger