Fwd: Samba client delete's root-only files

Nik Sands Nik.Sands at utas.edu.au
Fri Feb 2 04:35:42 GMT 2001

FIXED!  I've solved my problem.

I had a basic misunderstanding of UNIX delete permissions.  I always
thought that delete permissions were based on the write permissions of the
FILE being deleted.  However, it is actually based on the write permissions
of the DIRECTORY in which that file is stored.

This is something to keep in mind when assigning directories for SAMBA
shares.  If the directory has group write permission, then anyone in that
group can delete anything in that directory they like.

NIK SANDS - Systems Administrator    MailTo:Nik.Sands at utas.edu.au