smbclient tar restore: Include file name

B. Scott Michel scottm at CS.UCLA.EDU
Thu Feb 1 05:01:23 GMT 2001

I've wracked my brain around this problem for several days without success
and tried all possible combinations. I'm using Samba 2.0.7 on FreeBSD 4.2.

I backed up my laptop via smbclient as follows:

  smbclient //mylaptop/data -U <me> -Tc - | \
      buffer -o $TAPE -m 3m

which worked great, and I've used Unix tar to look at the tape's contents
and things look good. However, I had a need to restore a directory and only
that directory. The problem is that I cannot for the life of me figure out
the name that smbclient wants me to use to get that directory and only that
directory off the tape:

  buffer -i $TAPE | \
    smbclient //mylaptop/data -U <me> -Tx - $dirname

where dirname has taken the values:
    tmp/workdata
    tmp/workdata/
    tmp/workdata/*
    /tmp/workdata
    /tmp/workdata/
    /tmp/workdata/*
    ./tmp/workdata
    ./tmp/workdata/
    ./tmp/workdata/*

and the other possible combinations using \ as the path delimiter.

What am I doing wrong? What should the directory's name be for Samba to grab
that directory (and all of its contents) off the tape?

Please CC or respond to me directly as I'm not a member of the list.

-scooter