Out of Connections, possibly solved FYI

richard van beers beers at xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 31 02:21:03 GMT 2001

Hi samba

Below the tweaks done on our sun system to (hopefully, id like to see this
running for a few weeks) not run in Out of Connections troubles.

Our Sun admin wrote:

As of 10:30pm last night Titan is running a new
release of samba 2.2.2. What's new about it?
It's 64 bit.

After reading docs.sun.com I found out that a
32 bit application cannot address more than 256
open filehandles no matter what you set the
limits in /etc/system to. A 64 bit application
will be able to address upto 2 billion open
filehandles.

Was a bit of a struggle getting it compiled in
64 bit but it's there - it runs - and so far it
runs smoothly. No problems with it yet.
*fingers crossed*

Lets hope this has finally fixed the resource
problems on Titan.

-------------------------------------

Just rebooted Titan to fix the hopefully last remaining
problems with samba on it. Once the system came back up
it turned out to have a problem running the backup
software. Starting the Solstice client made it coredump.
A truss on it showed me a problem with open file descriptors
(obvious problem since I just boosted this level in the
/etc/system file). I tried lowering it but keeping it
high enough for samba - did not work. Ended up setting
the values in the /etc/system file back to the defaults
and rewriting the startup script for samba so that it
gets a kick in the butt from plimit when it is started
so that only samba will be able to allocate the higher
number of file descriptors.

Titan is back up - all the things I could think of that
run on it seems to be happy now and samba has its higher
number of file descriptors.

I'll log a low priority case with Sun to have them fix
the Solstice client in one of the next releases.

Jasper