Fun with Samba Panics

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Sun Dec 30 19:29:02 GMT 2001

Chris Tooley wrote:

> Replying to myself usually means I'm not making very good progress.
> This case is no different.  For the time being I've come up with a
> workaround that I'm extremely unproud of.  Instead of using Linux for my
> workstation (the only Linux workstation on the network) I've booted into
> Windows.  Sure enough all the panics are gone, the sessionid.tdb is
> fairly stable.  This won't work long term though as I'm so not used to
> Windows that I don't know how long I'll survive with the real Lotus
> Notes client.  At any rate, this confirms Andrew Bartlett's assumption
> that this is probably a problem in samba's client side code.

There is certainly somthing odd going on here...

> The sessionid.tdb problems I was having were with 2.2.1a and the new
> panics (which are worse by far) are with the 2.2.2 RPM.  I'll try
> getting the 2.2 branch from CVS tomorrow and see if that has any effect
> at all.
>
> Chris Tooley
>
> P.S.  abartlett if you get this and haven't had a chance to look into
> the problem I was having before yet, please drop me a note, and I'll
> spend my lunch hour doing something other than testing CVS for the bug.
> Thanks.

Well, I took three weeks holidays just before you sent this, and I'm
only now getting back onto this.

Firstly:  Any segfault is a bug, not matter what, even if the client is
misbehaving (becouse an attacker can use any client they want...).

Secondly, I havn't had a chance to look at the sessionid issue yet, but
may do so in the next week or so.

Could you try out the latest 2.2 CVS and see if your segfault is still
there.  If so, we need a backtrace.  Probably easist to set 'panic
action = /bin/sleep 9000' and attach a debugger.  It works better if you
compile from source, with --enable-developer for the debugging details.

BTW, if I do sort out the sessionid stuff, it will be in HEAD, not 2.2.

Finally, I should have mentiond that the sessionid tdb is only used when
compiled --with-pam or --with-utmp, so you can get out of this mess by
changing your configure options.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net