Still can't write to a Win98 share! PLEASE HELP!

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Sun Dec 30 16:20:03 GMT 2001

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, SnuggleB wrote:

> I have a Linux box (Mandrake 7.0) running Samba (2.0.6) compiled from
> source. I can mount/read/write the linux shares just fine, but when trying
> to write to my Win98 shares (which mount perfectly), I get "permission
> denied".
>
> This only happens for standard users. As root, I can
> read/write/execute/move/delete files with no problems whatsoever. As a
> standard user, I can only read files on the Win98 mounted shares.

If the same mount "instance" (no umounts or over-mounts) works for root
but not for normal users then it is not a problem with permissions on the
server side. Otherwise it is a common error as those permissions are not
show on the linux side (and people make that mistake even when they say
they don't ...)

All accesses over a smbfs mount is done as the same windows user.

> //mav/scott_pics /mnt/scott_pics smbfs guest,rw,fmask=0666,dmask=0777  0 0

If you list the files in this dir, what are the permissions? It should
work, unless 2.0.6 has some bug with fmask/dmask.

Also check that /sbin/mount.smbfs and/or /sbin/mount.smb (just check all
mount.smb* you can find) is a symlink to smbmount and not a script.
(mount.smb shouldn't exist, mount.smbfs should)

Before smbmount understood mount syntax people used scripts to map mount
syntax to smbmount syntax.

> //mav/mav_z  /mnt/mav_z  smbfs  user  0  0
> //mav/mav_cd  /mnt/mav_cd  smbfs  ro,user  0  0
> //mav/html  /mnt/html  smbfs  user  0  0

These won't be accessible by anyone but the user that mounted them. And as
the "user" keyword is currently not supported, only root can mount them.

/Urban