Samba Newbie

Julian Opificius julianop at mninter.net
Sun Dec 30 10:00:06 GMT 2001

First step,
The components of samba are smbd and nmbd. Nothing at the console actually
answers the name of "samba".
You can check to see if those daemons are running by typing
ps -C smbd
ps -C nmbd
those daemons will show up if they're running (note the upper case C).

julian.
=========================
At 12:42 PM 12/30/01 -0500, Kevin Barry wrote:
>I'm in the process of beginning to set up Samba with the aid of the book
>Special Edition Using Samba. The problem that I have is that I cannot
>get the service to run.
>
>I am using Red Hat 7.2 - kernel 2.4.9-13.
>
>I modified the smb.conf file and get the following when running the
>"testparm" command:
>Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
>Processing section "[homes]"
>Loaded services file OK.
>Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
>
>The processing section does not mention the [global] section entered as
>recommended in the above referenced book. The use of the ntsysv command
>does not show an entry for smb. Also any of the samba commands are
>responded with "samba: command not found". All other networking works
>fine such as ping or internet access. The system sits on a Ethernet
>network with 1 each of the following stations: XP, 2000 and ME.
>
>Kevin
>

>--

Julian A. Opificius.
802 Fawn Road, Elk River, MN 55330.