I can't browse from W2K

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Sat Dec 29 19:50:15 GMT 2001

> SRD Liu ZhiLing wrote:
>
> Dear Andrew,
>
>      I really need you help on the Samba server I have installed on a
>      Sun workstation with Solaris 2.8. The program have been compiled
>      and installed successfully and all the tests ( including testparm
>      and smbclient -U% -L localhost ) seemed to work fine. But when I
>      tried to browse from my PC which has W2K professional, it failed
>      every time. I can see the workstation listed in my Network
>      Neighborhood but I can not open it. Every time an alert jumps out
>      with such message:" Can not access \\s3geda-1. Your account
>      hasn't been authorized to log on by the workstation". I tried to
>      use console command " net use"  but got the same error and had an
>      error  1240.

You need to either set 'encrypt passwords = yes' in your smb.conf file
or apply one of the plaintext password registry hacks to your clients
(insecure).  The registry hacks are in the samba docs directory.

>      Could you please help me to find out what's wrong  with it? By
>      the way, my PC resides in a MS domain and gets IP address from
>      DHCP. While the SUN workstation have static IP address. They are
>      in the same subnet.

The normal way to store the Windows compatible passwords is to create an
smbpasswd file (smbpasswd -a user), but you might want to look into
running in 'security = domain' mode, where you pass the password back to
the windows DC.  Look into the username mapping options in the usernames
don't match up.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org