About Samba and russian accounting software (1C)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Sat Dec 29 15:37:02 GMT 2001

"Baltep Ltd." wrote:

> Third: We've got a problem :-). I'll try to describe it... One of the most
> popular accounting software in Russia is "1C:Enterprise" (where "C" means
> russian symbol, so in english it should be 1S, but "1C" is a company logo,
> so I'll use this spelling). CEO and owner of "1C" company is Mr. Nuraliev. I
> think, he is extremely MS-oriented person. His company produces a whole
> bunch of software, tightly integrated with MS products (with MSSQL, for
> example). But most popular is non-SQL (file server) version of  1C:
> Enterprise v.7.7 .  I'm (and many other sysadmins/analysts too) going to use
> a Samba server as a file server for this product (I'm moving from old Novell
> Netware server). Everything going fine with any file-server oriented
> software... except for 1C. The problem is in corrupted .dbf files during
> multiuser access to them. I think, the problem is in non-standard (or
> MS-specific) locking of byte ranges beyond the end of files (maybe, with
> huge offsets).

Unfortunetly MS gets to define how this all works, so MS-specific simply
means 'samba bug' :-(

> In prior versions of Samba this problem can be cured wtih
> "OLE locking compatibility" parameter set to "no". Sounds strange, but
> working. But now this parameter is removed from Samba (I suppose, due to
> internal modifications of locking code in sources). There are some reports
> from sysadmins, that protocol = LANMAN1 helps, but I'm afraid, that it's not
> a good idea (perfomance suffers). This problem seems to be hardware and
> kernel version independent.
>
> So, here is my questions:
>
> - Do you have any idea about how to solve this problem ?
> - Do you have any other requests from Russia about the same problem ?
> - What can I do for you to help in solving of this problem ?
>
> Thank you for your attention. And thanks again for such a nice product!

What versions of Samba?  Can you try the latest CVS of either HEAD or
SAMBA_2_2 (pserver.samba.org)?  Or at least the latest released
version?  There is always a lot of work being done on strage locking
bugs...

Andrew Bartlett
Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org