Samba/Netatalk delete problem

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Sat Dec 29 15:30:03 GMT 2001

Alejandro Arana wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm have a Linux Box running samba and netatalk, and a file system
> shared with Mac and Windows users. My problem is that when a user in
> Windows delete a file that have a Macintosh label (color), and later the
> Windows user put another version of the file with the same name, the
> Macintosh label still apear (and this is not the behavior that i need).
> I view in the file system that Netatalk creates a .AppleDouble folder in
> which contains files with the same names that the files with Mac labels
> (I think that this files are the Mac attributes), and this files are not
> deleted when a Windows user delete the original file (the problem).

Samba used to have a --with-netatalk configure option that did this kind
of stuff.  From my understanding the code dissapeared with the
introduction of the VFS layer.

Sombody needs to write a new 'netatalk' VFS module to do this kind of
thing.  (Same deal is needed for copy and delete I presume).

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net