Netbios PROXY

David W. Chapman Jr. dwcjr at inethouston.net
Sat Dec 29 13:10:03 GMT 2001

> David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:
> > I know this might be off topic, but it would reach the right
> > audience.  Does anyone know of any netbios/smb proxy that would work
> > on FreeBSD?
>
> Depends on exactly what you're asking.  If you want WINS proxy, samba's
> nmbd will do that.  If you're looking for something that proxys smb the
> same way that http is often proxied, I don't know of any.

I'm looking to proxy NETBIOS-DGM packets.  I have lmhost files on the
outside workstations, but when they connect to the server and get a
NETBIOS-DGM packet back from the server, it causes the client to overwrite
its SERVER<00> with the private address in the payload of the NETBIOS-DGM
packet.

I'm looking into having one of my programmers write a proxy for ipfilter and
I know NETBIOS-DGM operates on 138 udp, what ports do wins operate on, 137
tcp?