Users and Share Drives migration from NT to Linux

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Sat Dec 29 08:48:02 GMT 2001

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Serge Bianda wrote:

> Hello Everyone:
> Hope you all had a nice Christmas!
> I am facing a situation that I have never faced before. I have a the latest
> version of Samba running on a RH Linux 6.2 and a Windows 2000 Domain
> Controller that authenticates users and provide share drives for the
> internal network, As the economy here in the US is downgrading, I am forced
> to add more Linux server (as a replacement to Windows for all my
> servers)which will be at a very low cost for us and also for the good things
> Linux offers. So I need to migrate all my users (about 200 of them)and
> groups to a Samba Server, including their  permissions and the share drives,
> so I was wondering if any guru out there have a suggestion, or a link to a
> tool utility that will perform the migration for me, without running through
> the hassle of creating individual account which is a pain (only to think
> about it!) on that samba server.

You'll need to compile Samba and you Linux kernel to include acl support.
Then use the Win2k xcopy.exe command (check the correct flag for copying
permissions as well) to copy the files.

One problem is that there is not way to migrate a user's RID from the
Win2k DC to a Samba PDC.  At least not with an smbpasswd file (we don't
store this field).  You could specify a RID in Samba's LDAP backend.
I'm fixing some of this code right now so it will be better in 2.2.3.

For passwords you could look at pwdump perhaps.

Hmm...You could initially setup the Samba box as a domain member
and use winbind to get the list of users and group membership.
After copying this informaiton, you could turn winbind off....

Just some rambling thoughts...

chau, jerry