Solution to XP/2000 joining Samba 2.2.x Domain Problem!

Alu Angus alu at siad.2y.net
Sat Dec 29 08:45:02 GMT 2001

I finally found the solution that many people faced about joining a samba
2.2.x domain with XP or 2000
I've recently upgraded a Win98SE to WinXP, and attempt to join this to the
Samba Domain (of ver 2.2.2), which already have 2 Win2000 as member.
However, although the XP accept the Domain Joining, it denied me to log into
the domain  after a reboot, so I tried to view the System Event in the XP
and found this:

Source : Netlogon
Type : Error
The session setup to the Windows NT or Windows 2000 Domain Controller
\\ORACLE for the domain SIAD failed because \\ORACLE does not support
signing or sealing the Netlogon session.  Either upgrade the Domain
controller or set the RequireSignOrSeal registry entry on this machine to 0.

Here was the problem! so I search the registry, and found the metioned
registry is related to the "Domain member: Digitally encrypt or sign secure
channel data (always)" option.

The solution is to chenged the option to "disable" in Control Panel ->
Administractive Tools -> Local Security Policy -> Local Policies -> Domain
member: Digitally encrypt or sign secure channel data (always)

Then the XP  allow me to log into samba domain happily~ ^_^

Hope you would find this helpful