Cant find Samba Server....

Szymon Polok mizdral at wp.pl
Fri Dec 28 07:24:07 GMT 2001

Well.
I resolved this problem by reinstalling all Red Hat but I'm intrested what
was the problem.
I have 2 computers one with Windows 98 and one with RH 7.1 with Samba (I
tried this with 2 ver 2.0.7 and 2.2.2).
I could connect to Linux share from Linux using smbclient. I also could
connect do Win98 from Linux machine.
I could see Linux machine in Network Neighborhood, but when I tried to map
share or do anything to get on Linux from W98 i couldn't.
I found in tcpdump a problem: There was an error message:
udp port netbios-ns unreachable

There was netbios-ns .......... in /etc/services
After reinstalling RH with Samba 2.0.7 everything was OK from start.
Earlier I installed Samba using RPM. Maybe something went wrong.
I'm just curious what was wrong.

Thanks. Szymon.