samba tuning on a server with > 1 GB mem.Suggestions ?? + 2.2.2 problems

christian e cej at ti.com
Fri Dec 28 05:34:11 GMT 2001

Hi,all

Does anyone have experience on how to tune on a server with lots of
memory ? I'm upgrading one of our servers as mem is do cheap at the
moment and I'd like samba to be able to utilize that.Any pointers on
parameters to tweak ? First upgrade will be 1280 MB mem next step might
be 2 GB depending on the performance gain (if noticable).It's not that
the machine is slow or anything I'd just like it to be even faster :-)

Specs:

Dell Poweredge 2550
1 GHz P3
1280 MB mem
Intel Etherexpress Pro 10/100 NIC
Internal AACRAID controller with two 18 GB 1000 rpm drives in raid mirror
External PERC 3/DC Megaraid controller with two raid 5 arrays consisting
of 6 36 GB 1000 rpm drives in each
Debian 2.2 with kernel 2.4 updated packages
kernel 2.4.13-ac5
samba 2.0.10

reason for 2.0.10 and not 2.2.x samba is that I experienced problems
with stabilty running 2.2 during my netbench tests.No problems at all
with 2.0.10..Anyone had similar experiences ?? It just performed slow
and consumed lots of memory hogging the machine completely..

best regards

Christian