Very poor writing performance

Inald Lagendijk RLLagendijk at HoTMail.com
Thu Dec 27 12:20:03 GMT 2001

Hi;

I am using Samba 2.2.0 on a small business network (192.168.1.x). I am running
Suse 7.2 on a pentium pro 120. This machine is also the local gateway (isdn) using
masquarading. I have a 10 Mbs utp network.

I am experiencing an extreme difference in read and write speed over the samba server.
Writing from a windows machine (windows 98se) to the linux box gives me data
rates of approx 16 kByte/sec, reading from the linux box to the windows machine
is near 1 MByte/sec.

Using smbclient on the linux box, the situation is as bad.

Any ideas on how to fix this or how to do more elaborate tests?

Thanks.

R.Lagendijk