File size limitation?

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Dec 27 03:17:02 GMT 2001

On Mon, 24 Dec 2001, Alexander Saers wrote:

> Isn't this because of the limitations of the ext2 filesystem. On x86
> processors you are using a basic int to represent the blocks. Therfore you
> only have 32 bit whitch is about 2 gb of data. If you try to compile it on

Why do so many people believe that this is a limit of ext2 ...

http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html
(Hint: ext2's limit depends on the blocksize, the filesystem uses 32bits
 to index blocks, not bytes)

The limit of 2G is in the C library and the kernel interface.
glibc 2.2 and a 2.4 kernel is needed. Programs may need to be recompiled.
Run things on an older setup (unless patched by the vendor, eg SuSE) and
you get 2G limit independent of the FS used.

To the original poster:
For samba you need to compile it vs the above for it to detect that it
should turn on large file support (./configure prints a message at the
end if it turned on LFS or not). I also believe there have been some
bugs found in this area, so try samba 2.2.2 and if that fails try getting
the latest from the SAMBA_2_2 branch in CVS.

/Urban