saving files from Office to Samba share (not NFS'd)

Casey Lewis clewis at rrpartners.com
Mon Dec 24 15:00:33 GMT 2001

Hi all,
I'm having problems saving files from Office 2000 to any Samba share on
our Slackware 7.1 box running Samba v2.2.2

When I go to File>Save As in Word, then select the mapped drive (samba
share - drive X), I get this message:
"The Folder 'X:\' isn't accessible. The folder may be located on an
unavailable volume or protected with a password."

I also have another Slackware box running Samba v2.2.2, and I am not
seeing the same problem. I've compared the results of 'testparms' from
both boxes and the difference is how the servers auth users. On the
server I am having problems with, we use:
 encrypt passwords = yes
 security = server
 password server = "rrpdc1"

On the other box, we are using:
 encrypt passwords = no
 security = user

I've even tried removing the 3 config lines above and replacing them
with the 2 config lines, with no luck.

I've also tried turning oplocks and locks off as was suggested in

I have also looked through the logs (log.smbd and log.{client-name}) and
couldn't find anything that related.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Happy Holidays!
-casey