permissions on VFAT partitions

James Barwick jbarwick at basicsllp.com
Sun Dec 23 21:57:02 GMT 2001

AND...suppose you want at ext2/3 partition to be a samba share.....

On these types of shares, I setup SAMBA to "force a group" on file and
directory creation.  And in the Samba config, make sure that the file
create and directory create permissions are 664 and 775 instead of 644
and 755.

This will allow all users that belong to the unix group "user" (or
"1001"  in your xample) to have read/write permissios to all files
created on the share.

Why on EARTH would you have a VFAT partition setup as a share....why
would you have them on your SAMBA server at all?  You thought it would
be easier?
VFAT doesn't contain file permissions, so you can't really do an "NT
Emulation" anyway....you can only do as you have done and force a single
user/group...which you could do with SAMBA on ext partitions anyway.

James