Input/Output error - Not Samba ?

Noel Kelly nkelly at tarsus.co.uk
Sun Dec 23 20:08:02 GMT 2001

Hi,

I have a very odd problem which perhaps is not related to Samba but to be
sure...

I have a RH6.2 2.2.20 ACLs Samba server 2.2.2 and everything is/was running
fine partaking in a Windows 2000 domain.

I needed to reboot the server.  It has come up and I am getting
"input/output errors" all over the logs when I try and access any of the
shares on the raid array from a Windows client and Windows gives the
standard 'network name cannot be found".  If I set up a share which is not
on the raid array then no problem.  So it is not Samba I hear you say BUT...

The raid array checks out error-free (was unmounted cleanly) even with a
forced e2fsck.  It is clean.  I can access and copy files off the raid array
no problems at all directly inside Linux.  But accessing the Samba shares I
get these I/O errors.

Nothing has altered in the config files and we have been running this
successfully for the last nine days or more.

I'm not expecting an easy answer but if anyone has some insight here I would
really appreciate it as I am looking at 30 people turning up for work
tomorrow morning expecting to see their files!

Help!

Noel