"Secret is bad" -- Winbind with Samba 2.2.2 and Windows 2000 (native mode)

Hammond, James T.S. hammondj at exchange.winthrop.edu
Sat Dec 22 18:35:59 GMT 2001

I'm having problems getting "Secret is bad" with the command "wbinfo
-t".

I get good results with "wbinfo -u", "wbinfo -g", and "wbinfo -m".

I also have positive results with all the samba tests in DIAGNOSIS.txt.

I've tried deleting the computer account and recreating many times on my
Windows 2000 Domain Controller (everything is native mode).  I then use
the "smbpasswd -j DOM" command to join my domain.  Even though it says
it joined, I'm not convinced it's joining correctly since I get the
"Secret is bad" message.

I'm running on a Rehat 7.2 box with Samba 2.2.2.  Daemons smdb, nmdb,
and winbindd are all running.

My ultimate goal is to login to my Redhat box with Windows usernames
(like DOM+username) and passwords that are authenticated from my Windows
2000 domain controllers.  Hence my use of Winbind, which seems written
exactly for this purpose...

Help!