NTLM, NTLMv2, lmcompatibilitylevel >=2 doesnt work

Syzop syz at dds.nl
Sat Dec 22 18:34:09 GMT 2001

Hi,

I'm wondering if samba supports NTLMv2, particullary NTLMv2 session security.

But I can't even get NTLM-only to work :(.
I'm trying to increase lmcompatibilitylevel, but I can't connect to the samba server
anymore when I set it to 2 or higher ("Send NTLM authenication only").

I'm using HEAD CVS of today, and my smb.conf looks like this:
[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        server string = Blablabla
        interfaces = 192.168.5.0/24
        log file = /var/log/samba/smbd.%m
        max log size = 1000
        time server = Yes
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY  SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
        local master = No
        dns proxy = No
        lanman auth = Yes
        ntlm auth = Yes
(and the shares etc)
(oh and lanman auth = No didnt solve anything IIRC)

The client machine is W2K+SP2.
When I do a "net use k: \\smbserv\temp" Ethereal/tcpdump shows
a SMBnegprot request, reply, SMBsessionsetupX request, reply and then
the w2k client closes the tcp connection.

The eventlog show something like (translated from dutch):
"The redirector cannot initialize the properties of the securitycontext or querycontext."

Thanks,

    Bram Matthys.

PS: Please CC as I'm not subscribed to the list (the subscribe thing online gives a timeout and
a subscribe mail to samba-request at lists.samba.org doesn't work [not sure if should work anyway]).