permissions on VFAT partitions

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Dec 21 14:03:08 GMT 2001

Linux distributions often allow mounting of FAT and VFAT file systems in
read-only mode to avoid file system corruption. So far as I am aware this
is not a current real issue but more based out of fear.

I regularly mount my MS Windows 98 disk partition to transfer files from
my Ext3 Linux paritition for use under MS Windows. It is important that
the mount point has appropriate user.group file system permissions. My
users have no problem writing to the VFAT partition.

More to the point though, why have any real VFAT partitions? Under Samba
there are 'per share' parameters to determine the capabilities of the file
system even if the underlying technology is Ext2 or something else.

- John T.