Problems with Win XP/2000 and Samba 2.2.x

Dirk.Nitka at ages.de Dirk.Nitka at ages.de
Fri Dec 21 12:08:51 GMT 2001

Hello everybody,

I have a little network at home with one Win98, one Win XP/2000  and two
Linux boxes. The Linux boxes are running on SuSE 7.3 and on one of them i
have the latest samba 2.2.2 installed. I use security=share on this
machine. The connection from the win98 machine works fine, I can read,
write and delete files on the share-volumes. When I try the same from the
Windows XP or Win 2000 machine, I can read and delete files, but if I try
to write to the shares, the Explorer hangs for 15-20 sec and the gives me a
"Path too long" error, although the pathnames are NOT too long. Sometimes
the file will be partially created and sometimes it is only created with 0
bytes.
Please could someone help me with this problem? I fiddled with almost any
parameter in the smb.conf, but nothing works. This is my current smb.conf:

[global]

        workgroup = DIDEL
        netbios name = HOBBIT
        server string = Didel's SAMBA-Server
        guest account = nobody
        security = share
        encrypt passwords = Yes

        create mask = 0744
        directory mask = 0755

        log file = /var/log/samba/%m
        log level = 3
        wins support = Yes
        interfaces = 192.168.17.4/255.255.255.0
;       character set = ISO8859-15
;       client code page = 850

        os level = 66
        local master = Yes
        preferred master = Yes

        socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY

[Download]
        path = /winshares/Download
        guest ok = no
        read only = no