RH7.2&&smbd2.2.1&&W98/2000&&Connection Problem

Joel Hammer jhammer2 at home.com
Thu Dec 20 15:16:06 GMT 2001

It MIGHT help if you changed the name of your samba server in smb.conf to
match the name that the dns knows for your linux box. That's how I do it for
my home network, and it seems to work. A name like static52 might work.
Without a wins server, things don't work quite as smoothly, though.
If there is no wins server on your network, you could set up your linux box as a wins
server. (This might make people mad if it malfunctions and be seen as a
major security threat by your admins and get you fired.)
Joel