Changing drivers for already installed printers

Robert M. Martel bob at urban.csuohio.edu
Thu Dec 20 10:47:04 GMT 2001

	Greetings, All,

	I've run into an interesting problem with Samba 2.2.2 and dealing with
printer drivers for Windows 2000.  I can install the drivers for nt4/2000 okay,
I can install the drivers for win98 okay.

	The part I thought was really neat was how I could set the printer
options for Windows 2000 in the driver install so that when a user installed the
driver the correct printer options were already selected - things like paper
tray assignments and installed accessories.

	So now the problem.  If I replace an existing printer with a new one, as
I did in my lab - replaced an HP 5SI with an HP 8150 - and I changed the driver
on the samba server from 5si to 8150, and set the options the way I wanted them.
 When the new driver gets downloaded to the client machine the correct driver is
downloaded, but the selected options are NOT set.  I've repeated this several
times, same result each time, I get the "new" driver, but none of the options
are set the way I want them.

	If I create a new printer - different name than before in samba - and
install the printer driver as usual, then when it is downloaded to the client
the options for the driver are set correctly.

	I can create new printers w/o a problem, I can change a printer driver
and have the options take effect.

	Anyone know what is up with this?  How can I "clear" the currently
associated driver on the samba side so I can start "fresh" with a printer
driver?  I don't want to have to rename printers every time we swap a new one
for an old printer.

	-Bob Martel
 Speaking only for myself - CSU pays better people than me to speak for them.

 Bob Martel - System Administrator   | I met someone who looks a lot like you
 Levin College of Urban Affairs      | She does the things you do
 Cleveland State University          | But she is an IBM
 (216) 687-2214                      |
 bob at meeker.csuohio.edu              |                     -Jeff Lynne