Linux as a workstation client

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Thu Dec 20 10:00:06 GMT 2001

I'm exploring the idea of using Linux as a workstation OS for some of the
users where I work.  Most of the issues I've looked at seem resolvable, but
I keep running into one sticking point.  We rely heavily on shared folders
on our Samba server, using ACLs to restrict things on a departmental basis.
What I'd need is a way to mount these folders with the permissions of the
current logged-in user and honoring all the ACLs on the server.  Basically I
need it to act just like an NT workstation, client-wise.  Winbind can do the
authentication, but I've tried smbfs, and it looks like it doesn't enforce
the ACLs.  Is there something I'm overlooking, or is this something you just
can't do with Linux?

David Brodbeck, System Administrator
InterClean Equipment, Inc.
Ann Arbor, Michigan