Win2k -> Samba 2.2.2 for IRIX

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Thu Dec 20 08:03:09 GMT 2001

Just a guess, but it sounds like there may be some dns configuration
issue with the ipaddress for your servername in DNS not being the
same as the ip address configured on your system for the particular
network card that samba is binding to.  This is especially possible
if you have multiple network cards with different ip addresses on
your machine...
What I am supposing is that your win2k machines are using dns for
netbios name resolution, and determining the ip address for your
machine (when it is using the dns name for its netbios name) from
dns, and when it tries to get back to your server, it is communicating
on an ip address (card) that is not the one that samba is binding to
by default.
When you use a different netbios name, then the win2k machine resolves
the name via netbios broadcast, and gets the 'correct' address.

Just a thought,
Don