accented share name ok with smbclient but not with smbmount

Octavi Fors ofors at ga.ges.ub.es
Thu Dec 20 04:42:10 GMT 2001

Hi,

I'm trying to mount with smbmount a WinNT4.0 share resource from a Linux
running Samba 2.2.2.=20
WinNT box is installed with code page=3D850.
The resource name includes grave accented characters, in particular: =E0.
I'm trying to smbmount with:

$ smbmount '//NThostname/of=E0rs' /mnt/ofors -o
ip=3Dxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,username=3Dofors,password=3D******,workgroup=3Dwwwwww

where: NThostname is the name of WinNT which owns the share resource
       of=E0rs is the name of the share resource (includes =E0)
       xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is a valid IP address
       ****** is a valid password
       wwwwww is a valid workgroup name
=20
the output of that command is:

6548: tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnosuchshare (You specified an
invalid share name)
SMB connection failed

However, I've tried with a share resource without accented characters, it
DOES work:
$ smbmount '//NThostname/ofars' /mnt/ofors -o
ip=3Dxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,username=3Dofors,password=3D******,workgroup=3Dwwwwww

So it seems something is wrong with =E0. My smb.conf already includes all
options I know about valid chars:

smb.conf:
# Global parameters
[global]
=2E..
        client code page =3D 850
        character set =3D iso8859-1
        preserve case =3D yes
        short preserve case =3D yes
        case sensitive =3D no
        valid chars =3D =E9:=C9 =E8:=C8 =EA:=CA =E0:=C0 =EE:=CE =F4:=D4 =E7=
:=C7 =FB:=DB =EB:=CB

Any ideas about an extra option I'm missing.
I'm sure WinNT box is running 850 codepage, since I've checked with C:\>
chcp command.

Finally, what puzzles evem more is that smbclient seems to work with
the accented name:

smbclient '//ub228184/of=E0rs' -I xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -U ofors%*****
added interface ip=3Dxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx bcast=3Dxxx.xxx.xxx.x nmask=3Dxxx.xxx.=
xxx.x
Domain=3D[wwwwwww] OS=3D[Windows NT 4.0] Server=3D[NT LAN Manager 4.0]
smb: \>=20

So my question is:
what's the difference between the smbmount and smbclient way to handle
accented characters, that makes work the second and not the first?

Thanks in advance,

Octavi Fors
Universitat de Barcelona.=20
Servei de Gesti=F3 Acad=E8mica.=20
Secci=F3 d'Organitzaci=F3 i Desenvolupament.
mailto://ofors@ga.ges.ub.es
http://sgac.ges.ub.es/oid