winbindd and ftp

vda vda at port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua
Thu Dec 20 03:59:03 GMT 2001

On Thursday 20 December 2001 08:38, carl.huang at mic.com.tw wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I setup samba2.2.2 with winbind. samba is a member of  domain with
> security=domain. Now both work well.
> Since there is no user in /etc/passwd, and user information gets from PDC(a
> win2000 server).

Wow! This is what I want to achieve but can't! As soon as I start winbindd
domain logins are not accepted anymore.

Can you send me your smb.conf?

> The question is: there is no /home/xxx directory too.(I don't want to make
> it manually).
>
> I can configure /etc/pam.d/login with :
> session required    /lib/security/pam_mkhomedir.
> so  when user(naspdc+xxx ) first login , the machine will auotmatically
> make /home/xxx directory. So it's no problem.(naspdc is domain name).
>
> But when user(naspdc+testftp1) first ftp to this machine, the machine says:
> 530 User naspdc+testftp1: can't change directory to /home/testftp1.
> Login failed.  (Because there is no directory /home/testftp1,   naspdc is
> domain name).
>
> I also configure /etc/pam.d/ftp with pam_mkhomedir.so but it doesn't work.

Looks like your ftp server program does not use PAM...
how does it accepts DOMAIN+user usernames then? I'm not that familiar with
PAM but could it be that ftp does not use 'session' line, only 'passwd' in
PAM conf file? Can you try to verify this?
--
vda