Samba and pam

Matthieu Exbrayat Matthieu.Exbrayat at lifo.univ-orleans.fr
Wed Dec 19 05:03:10 GMT 2001

Hie all,

We have a problem with our samba configuration :
- We use a samba server running under solaris,
- Our clients can either be running solaris, windows or linux
- Our Solaris (and linux) clients use the NIS identification mecanism.

We would like that when a user changes its password on a Solaris (or
linux) client,
the password is changed both in the nis passwd database and in the
smbpasswd database.

This is currently working for Solaris clients : We use PAM
(we added the following line : "other   password required
/usr/lib/security/pam_smb_passwd.so")
+ /usr/lib/security/pam_smb_passwd.so

The problem is that our pam_smb_passwd.so file is a old version we got
from an old samba server. Moreover it is compiled for Solaris.
We would like to compile it, in order to have a new version for Solaris,
and to have a version for linux.
But I cannot identified neither the source files for this module nor the
way I should compile it.

- Which module is the right one? pam_smbpass? pam_smb? any other?
- Where might I get it?
- Is there any trick to compile it?

Thanks for your help
--
Matthieu EXBRAYAT
Maitre de Conference / Associate Professor